Friday, October 5, 2012

Sigma Sigmax Brushes

I'll admit, I had never heard of Sigma brushes until I started watching YouTube videos two-three years ago. Growing up in a city like Hong Kong, most of the brands I had been exposed to were high end and very expensive, so the idea of affordable brushes was almost inconceivable to me. Dramatic, I know, but it's true. When I started watching YouTube I heard everyone raving about these Sigma brushes so I decided to look them up and have been wanting to try them ever since. 



A few months ago I finally bit the bullet and ordered two brushes from their then-new Sigmax line of brushes which are made with synthetic bristles and are supposed to be used especially with cream products. First of all I have to say that I was very pleased with their service - they offer shipping worldwide so I didn't have to go through multiple channels of family friends to get them here. I remember there was also a problem with my order that necessitated talking to one of the Sigma employees and the woman I spoke to was very friendly and informative. After all that was sorted out, my brushes arrived surprisingly quickly considering the international shipping, so I'm very happy with their customer service.


The first brush I ordered was the F86 Tapered Kabuki brush which I thought would be nice to use with cream highlighters. When it came, though, I saw how big it really was and realized it wouldn't work for highlighters. I found that this works pretty well with liquid and cream foundations. The tapered brush really allows you to work the foundation in around your nose and under your eyes, though it was a little awkward to get used to at first since I wanted to use it like a buffing brush and couldn't, really. I did try this with a cream blush and bronzer and I have to admit that its best used with foundation, as it can cause your blush and bronzer to apply a little streakily and is more difficult to blend that than foundation. 

The second brush I ordered was the P82 Precision Round brush which I wanted to use with my concealer and I have to say I absolutely love this brush for applying my concealer! It honestly makes it so easy to apply and blend, and because it's so small it really allows you to be precise with your concealer application. It can be a little hard to use for undereye concealers but I still found it okay. I did try this with a cream highlighter and I really liked to use it for that purpose as well, especially if you have a smaller face and thin cheekbones. This is really nice for sparingly applying foundation as well if you don't need as much coverage over your entire face. 

As you can see there's a pretty big difference in the size of these two brushes which is why you can't really use them interchangeably, you need to have distinct purposes for each brush. The bristles of both these brushes are very soft, much more so than I initially expected, though they are very densely packed which is why they're made to use with cream products rather than powder products. Another thing I really liked about these brushes is that they were really easy to clean, whether with my MAC Brush Cleanser or with baby shampoo. They take a while to try though if you deep clean them since they are so dense, but as long as you leave them overnight it should be fine. 

Overall I was really happy with my Sigmax experience and would definitely repurchase brushes from this line, though because I have oily skin I prefer to use powder products and don't need to buy the whole range. 

Have you tried the Sigmax brushes? What did you think of them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment